Madder Red, Yeasayer.
Madder Red, Yeasayer.
This is like the 2013 version of Carrie’s Naked Dress.
Starting from scratch so I can have two primary blogs. Transferring everything will be a pain.
Living in Arizona during the summer makes for difficulty dressing. From mid-May to the end of September I know that the temperature will be between 98 and 115. I double check just to be sure but there is never a day that I don’t wish I was naked in an ice cold bath. Here are some things I wear during the summer that makes the heat a little more bearable:
1. Franco Sarto double ankle strap sandals: I got these about a week ago in black and so far they’ve come in handy. Like many strictly platform wearing dames, I’m a strictly ballet flat wearing gal so making the switch to a sandal was a big one. I just prefer the look of a closed toe ballet flat. However, 115 degree days call for something more practical.
2. Muscle tees: I love the look of a muscle tee because for some reason I find them to be a little bit sophisticated. Normally a cut off arm reads juvenile but with the right color scheme going on I find them a lotta bit sexy and a little bit grown up. I have several and they allow me to look semi put together.
3. Ankle jeans: A cropped pant reads, “Seasoned Veteran” while a full leg reads, “Rookie”. I don’t why an inch or two makes the difference but a cropped jean feels slightly more summery than a denim trouser. I have a light wash BDG pair that I can’t believe are still in one piece and a cream ankle length pair with zippers. Wear either with a colorful flat and a white tee and you’re kinda good to go.
4. Sheer button downs: They allow you to breathe with a little more coverage. Done.
5. Wispy scarves: I always receive negative comments about wearing scarves during the summer but with the right color and fabric you can get away with it without sweating through it (ew).
6. Ditch the tote for a clutch: I don’t follow this advice every day but I do think holding a clutch instead of a tote is a simple way to be lighter and just…wispy-er. Clutches are a way to force you to think about what you lug around. When I carry a clutch I bring my eyelash curler, money (debit/cash/credit card), a lipstick, blush, and, if I have room, my Kindle for unplanned waits in long lines or general boredom. I try and save a tote or hobo for winter. Unless you’re going to the pool.
7. Orange lipstick: I recently purchased “Morange” from MAC and although it takes a little getting used to and you have to plan your outfit around it, it really is an easy way to bring a little summer to your face.
Future BFF. See you soon, Jen. Love ya. Kisses.
The best Carrie outfit. I don’t mean to disregard the fur coat she wore to the Yankee game, the BALLERINA SKIRT, or the poofy grey dress she didn’t get to wear to dinner in the last episode (amongst others) BUT, her hair is perfect, her body is perfect, the neckline, the length, the subtle ruching at her waist, and her “Carrie” necklace that was way ahead of it’s time (you know how now we have necklaces with our Twitter handles?).
PS, sorry about the quality, I had to screen cap it and I’m not a magician.
I guess I’m buying some Old Spice soon.
"I hope you have a good trip."
Elettra’s Goodness: Vogue’s new web series where Elettra Wiedemann visits the homes of influential New Yorkers and cooks a dish of their choosing. Last week was steak and potatoes with Grace Coddington. The week before, grilled cheese with Seth Meyers.
Candidly Nicole: Nicole Richie’s weekly web show that documents her various day-to-day errands and meetings doused with sass and the classic Nicole I fell in love with when I was 11 and continue to stan for.
OscarPRGirl’s 10 Travel Essentials: Birchbox did a short little feature with Erika Bearman regarding her ten travel essentials (see previous post). It’s no secret that Erika is a well dressed renaissance woman. She exudes sophistication.
My only gripe is the length of these videos. 5 minutes just doesn’t cut it. Doesn’t anyone understand that I need Nicole back on my TV and a reality show about the goings on at Oscar de la Renta?
I just love America and muscle tees and grey and summer time.